Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Seedlings, bulbs and sales people.


So this morning, I knew I had lots to do: brats to school, tidy the kitchen, go to the gym. (oh yeah, and phone different merchant services companies to find out just how much they will steal from me so I can accept credit cards at shows and sales...) Well, the kids got to school and the kitchen was squeaky clean, but of course, due to long winded sales people, my cardio got the short end of the stick. And so did my brain, after hours of crunching numbers and trying to comprehend how these expensive "solutions" are going to be my solutions. They don't make it easy, let me tell you.

Anyhoo, by noon I was done and looking at the sweet sunshine outside, decided it was time to tackle the garden! It was satisfaction pulling up the weeds (some were not weeds - but don't tell my Mom...) imagining that they were the sales people from earlier. Not really nice, no.

My daughter and I planted Iris and Crocus, Cosmos, Sweet Peas and Scarlet Runners. Nasturtiums are my favorite and we updated the herb garden with Silver Thyme and Summer Savory. She did a great job, especially when she would suddenly break into ballet and narrowly miss falling into the newly planted bed or make a sculpture using the garden path's decorative stones and in both cases giving me a heart attack and simultaneously reminding myself not to ask her to garden anymore...deep breath. Gardening is truly relaxing, isn't it? Well, I forgot about the merchant crap, anyways.

So we stayed out there with the fresh dirt, rock sculptures and a pot of tea until almost dark. We realized it was time to go in when we didn't hear the squirrels munching on the peanuts anymore. They called it quits and rightly so - it was getting so chilly that I could feel my earrings in my ears! (How do you like that segway, huh?)

..."Japanese Garden" from the 2008 Limited Collection is perfect for this and other earthy adventures, whether dirty or fashionable. The hand decaled Tensha beads are paired with beautiful Carnelian and dangle so pretty from 14mm Sterling Silver hoops. Plant these in your ears and you will bloom, my Friend.


1 comment:

HomeSchooler said...

Jolie said:
She did a great job, especially when she would suddenly break into ballet and narrowly miss falling into the newly planted bed or make a sculpture using the garden path's decorative stones and in both cases giving me a heart attack and simultaneously reminding myself not to ask her to garden anymore...deep breath. Gardening is truly relaxing, isn't it?


I soooo hear you! Today Ella and I began a "craft" project - I told her that we were becoming very advanced in our methods as we were now using "mixed media." She was impressed.

Essentially, we're making a diorama of a lighthouse on a cliff by the sea using painter's canvas, clay, paper mache, fake moss as shrubs, sand, and teeny-tiny sea shells. Obviously we couldn't get it all done in one day (though Ella wanted to try). Anyways, after making the base of the water/land with clay/paper mache on the artist's canvas, we sanded and primed the lighthouse, getting it ready for the "real" paint.

How can you prime a little, wooden lighthouse without ever putting your paintbrush in the container holding the primer? Have a 3 year old girl help you! She layered that primer on sooooo thick, that I was kept very busy just trying to spread it out nicely and evenly before it dried!

Kids are GREAT helpers, eh? Of course, doing *whatever* with their "help" usually takes longer than doing it alone!

P.S. Despite the merchant crap, Congrats on the Vancouver Fashion show... I heard it went pretty well for you! I'm praying that soon the bar will be a distant memory!